Presenter: Freddie Talberg or Xavier Delestrade
Job title: CEO (FT) or CFO/COO (XD)
Based in: London
Founded in: 2009
No. of Employees: 20
Freddie Talberg or Xavier Delestrade
Freddie Talberg is CEO of PIE Mapping and a serial entrepreneur. Bachelor of Electrical Engineering and has more than 15 years technical experience within the telecom sector and ten years working in the mapping and navigation industry. Set up and sold his first global telecoms business in 2002.
- Selected for Cognicity Smart City Programme – Integrated Transport for Canary Wharf Group.
- Selected by DPD – Last Mile Lab Accelerator to innovate PIE’s technology into the parcel delivery business.
- Piloting leading navigation solution for London to limited cycle and HGV collision using PIE Mapping smart Routing.
- Invited to speak on Radio 5 Live (June 2015) Tech Hour on innovative freight navigation services.
- Launch of the PIE platform (described below)
- Series A fundraising
We are the creators and operators of the Transport for London Freight Journey Planner and the VIP and Logistics Journey Planning Platform for the 2012 Olympics which was a great success.
Now expanding our platform nationally and internationally and integrating new services needed by the freight, delivery and construction industries.
PIE Mapping is a good example of a business that has come out of one of the founders realising an issue he had in his own life was more universal than he realised.
As a motorbike rider in London, Freddie Talberg lamented the lack of bike-specific mapping data for the capital. So he rode out early each morning for two months and recorded the data – eventually producing the first paper map.
The demand for this data was huge and soon data contracts were signed with Yell.com and Bing, among others.
“That was when we started to understand that there was a strong business opportunity here for specific road users,” explains co-founder Xavier Delestrade.
“Looking at the mapping side of things, we quickly realized that the freight industry was still operating decade old technologies that were creating massive inefficiencies.”
The business is looking for a Series A funding round to “accelerate dramatically the release of our generic solution”.
PIE specialises in turning disparate road data from local authorities into services for road users. We are geo geeks and manage a lot of data. We have an amazing routing engine used during the 2012 Games that is different from Google which gives us an amazing capability to create bespoke routing networks.
- The PIE platform includes services like FJP (Freight Journey Planner) and the LLRA (London Lorry Route Approver) as part of the compliance routing for the London Lorry Control Scheme.
- We are working towards a nation-wide expansion over the next few months and are also integrating new functionalities offered as a wide range of SAAS based services to the freight, delivery and construction industries including: Fleet Management, Hub management, Asset
- Tracking, Mobile Workforce, Dynamic Response Routing etc.
- Canary Wharf Group (Construction) – are a major client that support PIE in the PIE Construction & PIE Logistics offerings.
- Transport for London – Freight Journey Planner – PIE is linked in to work with TfL to help solve the Freight challenges in London.
- DPD – Currently working to create an innovation led approach and using the PIE Platform to manage and facilitate the growth of the parcel industry.
- University of Leicester – Join project in the deployment of PIE’s technology in the city for Bordeaux for freight routing and freight data management. PIE is show casing at the ITS World Congress in Bordeaux – October 2015.
- UCL (University College London) – PIE Mapping is involved in various entrepreneurial and collaborative R&D projects.
- PIE is leading a consortium agreement on freight tech innovation that involves: FTA (Freight Transport Association), Birmingham City Council, Kent and Gloucestershire County Councils and the University of Southampton
- 300k from Angel investors
Postal address: Central Working, 69-89 Mile End Road, London, E1 4UJ